Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine seeks an Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs to lead faculty initiatives at WMed. The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs serves as a resource for faculty, supports faculty career advancement, and manages all faculty related matters. The ideal candidate will provide strong leadership to advance faculty excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service; promote the medical school’s commitment to justice, equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging; and partner with the dean and other senior leaders to develop and oversee policies and procedures that involve faculty.
The office of Faculty Affairs interacts directly with the Department Chairs and Program Directors and collaborates with the Offices of Research, Clinical Affairs, Administration and Finance, Health Equity, Culture, Academic Affairs, and Institutional Advancement to support all WMed’s programs and initiatives. The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs is a member of the Executive Team and Senior Leadership team, reporting directly to the Dean.
Applications are encouraged from individuals with a high level of personal and professional commitment, enthusiasm, integrity, and support of the medical school’s mission, vision, and values. Candidates identifying as underrepresented in medicine are encouraged to apply.
- Provide vision and leadership for all faculty-related matters and initiatives at WMed
- Represent WMed in national conversations related to faculty vitality through participation in relevant organizations
- Oversee and facilitate all processes for faculty matters including recruitment, appointment, retention, reappointment, evaluation, promotion, professional development, recognition, awards, compliance, and conflict resolution.
- Design, develop, implement, and evaluate faculty orientation, development, and mentoring programs and initiatives focused on career development and institutional belonging
- Oversee the annual faculty evaluation process in alignment with WMed policies and procedures.
- Assist department chairs in the evaluation of faculty and the promotion of faculty wellness.
- Supervise the Faculty Affairs staff
- Report to the dean as a member of the Executive Team and serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Standing Committee, Faculty Academic Council, and other appropriate committees
- Assist department chairs in recruiting and retaining faculty; design, develop, implement, and evaluate processes specifically to recruit, support, and retain a diverse faculty.
- Participate in salary equity reviews for employed faculty
- Develop and provide professional development to promote faculty activities related to teaching, research, scholarship, and community service in academic medicine.
- Assist in the development and oversight of policies and procedures involving faculty.
- Oversee the Faculty Handbook and its annual review process in collaboration with the Faculty Academic Council
- Foster and support relationships with medical care providers in the Kalamazoo community
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean
Qualified candidates are asked to include the following materials:
- Cover letter or letter of intent
- Statement of prior experience and commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, equity inclusion, justice, and belonging.
- Statement of experience and accomplishments in faculty affairs and development.
Education and experience:
- A Ph.D., M.D., D.O. or other doctoral degree is required.
- Must meet the qualifications for faculty appointment in the medical school at the level of Professor.
- Progressive management experience and a proven track record of influential leadership is required.
- Demonstrated experience and accomplishments in leadership roles, faculty affairs, and faculty development at an academic medical center is strongly desired.
License or certification:
- Physicians with clinical responsibilities must maintain current licensure or eligibility to practice medicine in the State of Michigan.