Join the HJF Team!
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing military medicine. We serve military, medical, academic and government clients by administering, managing and supporting preeminent scientific programs that benefit members of the armed forces and civilians alike. Since its founding in 1983, HJF has served as a vital link between the military medical community and its federal and private partners. HJF's support and administrative capabilities allow military medical researchers and clinicians to maintain their scientific focus and accomplish their research goals.
This position will be in support of The Center for Health Professions Education (CHPE) at Uniformed Services University (USU), within the Department of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine in Bethesda, MD.
HJF is seeking an Educational Teaching and Research Associate to support the Educational Mission of CHPE, including the Masters and PhD program in Health Professions Education (HPE); the Long-Term Career Outcome Study (LTCOS), which comprises a group of senior investigators and deans at our institution; educational research studies that pertain to these areas that span UME and GME. Incumbent will serve as a faculty member in the role of teaching and research associate and, as such, will be responsible for tasks to include: online and blended learning course design; development and evaluation, online instruction, research dissemination, mentorship of graduate students in CHPE with teaching and research and/or academic advising; assisting with administrative tasks such as communication with current learners and alumni. It is expected that the candidate will be involved with the preparation of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals from the research data generated from the projects.
- Serves as an Assistant Professor in CHPE and as such, is responsible for teaching, research, and administrative duties.
- Provides primary instruction in HPE courses with other faculty, based on expertise.
- Assists graduate student and faculty investigators with carrying out HPE research protocols. This includes mentoring of degree-seeking learners on research projects (e.g. research question development, proposal preparation, and student implementation and publication of work).
- Helps design, develop, and implement scientific research projects including managing study logistics, and writing new grant proposals for both intramural and extramural funding.
- Participates in instructional design, development, and implementation (for example, prepares teaching materials, provides instruction, writes learning objectives, and grades student work).
- Supports faculty and students with educational administrative tasks (e.g. academic advising).
- Provides administrative leadership for selected CHPE activities (e.g. graduate student handbook updates, selected website design, research advising).
- Writing and editing of study results for dissemination within USU for program evaluation purposes, as well as publication in technical and peer-reviewed journals.
- Serves as an investigator in LTCOS-related research projects.
- This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of organizational objectives, office automation.
- Strong personal initiative and ability to work completely independently.
- Ability to use sound judgment in solving problems.
- Ability to coordinate many complex systems and programs at the same time.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, detail oriented.
- Shows independence and initiative in implementing departmental policies and processes related to arranging meetings, seminars and faculty schedules for regularly held events.
- Ability to stand or sit at a computer for prolonged periods
- This position will take place primarily in a office setting.
Education and Experience
- Doctoral Degree required.
- Minimum of 5-8 years experience required.
As per Executive Order 14042, all HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, education and credentials, a criminal background check, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check if applicable. Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)