The Center for Medical Education Research and Scholarly Innovation (MERSI) at the University of Virginia, School of Medicine seeks a Director of Medical Education Research and Scholarly Innovation. This is a full-time position with 50% effort dedicated to the director duties. Applicants will be considered for additional curricular roles based on interests to fill this full-time position. An MD applicant is eligible for appointment in a clinical department for 20-25% FTE. Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean for Education and working collaboratively with faculty, staff and learners, the incumbent is responsible for integrating scholarship into all aspects of medical education across the continuum. The search committee seeks candidates that qualify for the academic rank of Associate or Professor. Tenure status will be based on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
MERSI provides individual and programmatic support to assist colleagues in applying a scholarly approach in their work as educators across the domains of teaching, curriculum development, learner assessment, advising/mentoring and education leadership and administration.
Position responsibilities include:
- Direct and manage Center resources including faculty, staff and finances.
- Create, conduct and evaluate professional development programming in collaboration with the Academy for Excellence in Education.
- Consult with and mentor/coach faculty, staff and learners regarding education research projects and creating opportunities for dissemination of scholarship.
- Manage institutional funding mechanisms to support educators including Educational Research Grants and the Fellowship for Scholarly Innovation in Medical/Biomedical Sciences Education and support awardees.
- Collaborate with the Academy for Excellence in Education for professional development meetings including Medical Education Week and externally sponsored meetings.
- Direct and teach medical education courses for medical students.
Education and experience requirements:
- MD or PhD with focus on health professions education, educational research or educational science.
- At least 5 years demonstrated experience in medical education and record of success in administrative role.
Priority candidate review will begin on December 6, 2021, but the position will remain open until filled. Please apply through Workday at the following URL, https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs , and search for requisition #R0029919.
For additional information about the position, please contact Meg Keeley MD, Interim Senior Associate Dean for Education, Harrison Distinguished Professor of Medical Education, Professor of Pediatrics via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional information regarding the application process, please contact Michelle Williams, Senior Recruiter/Faculty Search Advisor, via email email@example.com.