Position Title: Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Development
Department: Faculty Affairs
Division: School of Medicine
Vacancy Number: 22-131
Work Location: Columbus, GA
Job Type: Full-time
Job Category: Administrative
The Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM), Office of Faculty Affairs seeks an Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Development for our brand-new campus located in Columbus, GA. The Associate Dean will report to the Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Development located on our Macon campus. The incumbent is responsible for upholding the mission of the school and is responsible for managing the programs that support faculty and enhance their academic experience in the School of Medicine.
For over thirty years, MUSM has focused on training medical students to fulfill its mission of preparing healthcare professionals to meet the primary care and health care needs of rural and underserved Georgia. Emphasizing active learning and patient-based teaching strategies, our student-centered faculty provides a conceptual and practical foundation that equips graduates to be discerning consumers and innovative producers of knowledge across a variety of medical and community settings, as well as academic institutions. Through teaching, scholarship, and service, students and faculty work closely to have local, regional, national, and international impact.
- Hold a terminal degree (M.D., Ph.D., etc.) from an accredited institution
- Have significant prior experience in a medical or graduate school
- Have ability to manage a major unit of the medical school, Faculty Affairs and Development for the Columbus campus
- Demonstrate an ability to provide faculty mentoring and guidance and to work collaboratively with other units within the medical school
- Have strong interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills
- Have ability to mentor a diverse faculty at varying career stages
- Have ability to think strategically and lead initiatives that will promote faculty development, including identifying faculty development needs and relevant programing
- Demonstrate a commitment to practices that foster diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Facilitate faculty appointment, onboarding, promotion, and tenure processes
- Facilitate annual review of MUSM-employed faculty and biennial review of volunteer faculty
- Be proactive, take ownership of assigned responsibilities, including teaching, and work with little supervision to meet deadlines
- Have ability to work collaboratively with interdisciplinary teams in a complex, multi-campus organization
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience with accreditation processes (i.e., LCME) and standards for medical education
- Familiarity with academic rank/faculty promotion/faculty tenure processes
- Experience designing and implementing initiatives that enhance the career and leadership development of faculty
- Maintaining a faculty development calendar to include all educational or development opportunities offered
- Experience developing and managing faculty recruitment and onboarding
- Experience with innovative learning strategies in health professions education
- Experience with faculty governance policies and procedures including rules and bylaws
Applicants applying for Associate or Full Professor ranks should have a strong record of medical school teaching, service, and medical education scholarship. This job may be tenure or non-tenure track, and the actual faculty department will depend on the applicant's degree, experience, and background.
Background Check: Selection of the final candidate is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Pay Rate: Commensurate with experience
Required Documents: CV, Cover Letter, References
Special Instructions to Applicants: Applicants should complete the brief online application and attach a current CV, cover letter, and names and contact information for three professional references.
EEO Statement: AA/EEO/Veteran/Disability
Mercer University recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds.