The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences of McGill University is conducting a search for an internationally respected individual to guide the research, educational and outreach activities of the Institute of Health Sciences Education (IHSE). A successful candidate will be named Director of the IHSE. The Director of the IHSE will work collaboratively with a distributed leadership team, including dynamic leads for graduate education and for research.
Building off the long history of success of the Centre for Medical Education, the IHSE, created in February 2019, promotes excellence and scholarship across the continuum of health professions and health sciences education. More specifically, the IHSE at McGill:
• Endeavours to advance health professions and health sciences education research;
• Assembles scholars to conduct research and scholarly work in health professions and health sciences education;
• Ensures that research advances the field of health sciences education and informs educational practice;
• Encourages innovation and excellence in teaching and learning; and
• Offers educational programs and capacity building for future leaders in health sciences education.
The current members of the IHSE include a vibrant community of clinicians, educators, and researchers from diverse backgrounds and disciplines. Bringing together research and practice, this unique mix of individuals moves beyond traditional departmental and disciplinary boundaries to create new knowledge, enable capacity-building, and promote knowledge translation in the field.
More information about the IHSE may be found at: https://www.mcgill.ca/ihse/about-us/vision-mission-and-goal.
The successful candidate is expected to:
• Hold an academic position at the Associate or Full Professor level
• Have a Ph.D. in a relevant field and/or health professions degree with demonstrated research expertise
• Be open, energetic, innovative, and have demonstrated leadership and organizational abilities in a multidisciplinary and interprofessional higher education environment
• Have experience in and a commitment to high-quality, collaborative, and interdisciplinary research and scholarship related to health sciences education
• Have demonstrated success in health sciences education research
• Endorse a collaborative leadership model and foster partnerships with key stakeholders in the university and community
• Participate in all aspects of the mission of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences: teaching, research and other scholarly duties
• Mentor faculty to ensure their academic success
Responsibilities of the Director of the IHSE will include:
• Fostering excellence and scholarship in the domain of health sciences education (health professions, and the biomedical and social sciences)
• Promoting innovation in teaching and learning
• Leading strategic planning and guiding the Institute in its mission to serve as a resource for undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate and continuing health sciences education research
• Providing oversight of the Institute’s budget allocation and contributing to growing the resources of the IHSE
• Supporting the continued growth of the graduate training programs in health sciences education research and scholarship.
Additionally, the candidate will be expected to participate in the Education Leadership Council, the Faculty Leadership Council, and be advisory to the Dean on academic matters pertaining to the Institute.
A tenure-stream position may be available for a suitable candidate.
French language skills, though not essential, will be considered an asset.
Salary will be negotiable, according to qualifications and experience.
Applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
The following supporting documents are required:
• A cover letter & curriculum vitae (as one pdf document)
• Statement of research (if including other documents, combine to make one pdf)
• The names and contact information of three referees
Applications should be sent by July 4, 2021.