The Medical Education and Educational Research Institute (MEERI) encompasses services and programs that shape, support, and enhance teaching and learning at the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. MEERI focuses on four core areas to ensure faculty are equipped to educate physicians and physician scientists of the future. These core areas are: medical educator skill development; scholarship in medical education; recognition and career advancement; and peer support and coaching. To support these efforts, MEERI seeks to hire an Evaluation and Assessment Scientist (EAS). The EAS will play a prominent role in the development and implementation of a program evaluation strategy for MEERI while also supporting educational research initiatives and program needs. The EAS will also provide collaborative leadership in developing, and contribute to ongoing implementation of learning assessment and program improvement processes for an evolving medical education curriculum.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Serve as an evaluation and assessment specialist, coaching faculty, staff, and learners on appropriate implementation and use of best practice assessment tools and resources.
- Lead the curriculum team in assessment instrument development including exam blueprints, standard setting, observation protocols, scoring rubrics, questionnaires, and surveys.
- Develop and implement evaluation projects specific to the needs of programs offered through MEERI, this includes the planning and coordination of evaluation activities, data analysis, the development of recommendations and presentation of recommendations to program leads
- Collaborate with the director of MEERI to set key priorities for program evaluation initiatives in alignment with strategic plan
- Consult with the director of MEERI in setting priorities for the design and implementation of research and evaluation projects
- Oversee the administration and data management of the evaluation program for MEERI and other programs as identified
- Collaborate with team members of the Offices of Medical Education in the ongoing implementation and improvement of program evaluation and learning assessment processes
- PhD or EdD degree with a focus on Assessment/Program Evaluation or Social sciences/ Education
- Three (3) to five (5) years of related experience in a research environment, academic institution, or an academic health center setting
- Knowledge and skills in educational design, program evaluation approaches, models and methodologies
- Theoretical training must be accompanied by experience applying models of evaluation into education (preferred application in health professions education, e.g. medical education, surgical education, nursing education etc.)
- The incumbent must have experience working with academic leadership as evidenced by work on academic committees either as a faculty member or trainee
- Ability to work effectively both in a team environment and independently
- Expertise in PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, and online searches including the use of various academic databases
- Strong analytical and data manipulation skills. Use of technology for collection, analysis, and reporting of data; familiarity with EXCEL is essential and JMP, SPSS or other statistical software packages, expertise is an advantage
- An excellent track record showcasing a high level of organization, attention to detail and follow-through as well as an ability to consistently meet stated deadlines
- Excellent communication (interpersonal, written, verbal, team building) skills.
For the complete position description and to apply, please visit:
Questions, please contact:
Jennifer Meka, PhD
Director, Medical Education and Educational Research Institute (MEERI)
Assistant Dean for Medical Education
Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
University at Buffalo
955 Main Street, Room 6153
Buffalo, NY 14203