The Goldfarb School of Nursing Paul J. McKee Associate Dean for Research
Goldfarb School of Nursing at Barnes-Jewish College is affiliated with Barnes-Jewish Hospital and a member of BJC HealthCare. Goldfarb School of Nursing at and its legacy schools have served the St. Louis community for over 100 years.
Goldfarb School of Nursing at Barnes-Jewish College (College) is seeking a Associate Dean for Research to develop and advance the College’s research mission through the recruitment, development, and retention of research scientists with robust, socially/clinically relevant and sustainable programs of inquiry. The role collaborates with Washington University and its Institute of Clinical and Translational Sciences (ICTS) and BJC healthcare and Barnes-Jewish Hospital’s quality, safety, and workforce scientists. The incumbent will possess an active research portfolio and ensure that research and evidence-based practice is highlighted in undergraduate and graduate studies. The Associate Dean will oversee grant management and regulatory requirements for sound and ethical research practices.
Recruitment, Development and Retention
- Provides leadership and guidance for all Goldfarb School of Nursing research-related activities consistent with the mission of the College and advice and counsel on research and scholarly matters to the Dean.
- Recruits mid- to senior-career scientists with track records of developed funding streams that align with a research program center of excellence.
- Continuously mentor faculty and students to develop their research and scholarship;
- Promotes and advances the careers of scientists by creating a culture of support, inquiry, innovation, and recognition.
- Collaborates to advance team science with interprofessional partners within the Washington University system, the BJC healthcare System, and across regional Colleges and Universities.
- Collaborates with the Dean and the Faculty Curriculum Committee to establish scholarship standards.
- Models team and collaborative behaviors in a variety of settings with the College, including, but not limited to Washington University, the BJC healthcare System, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis Children’s Hospital, St. Louis College of Pharmacy, community agencies and other non-collegiate partners.
- Maintains a strong portfolio of individual and/or team-science research, capitalizing on the resources and capacity of the BJC/BJH/Washington University system.
- Fulfills responsibilities of a faculty member in the School, as negotiated with the Dean. Represents and promotes the College in a wide-ranging array of local to international forums tied to the research mission, strategic plan, and the advancement of science and evidence-based practice.
- Serves on appointed research-related councils and committees, as appointed, such as with BJC healthcare and Barnes-Jewish Hospital.
- Advances professional scholarship for self and others.
- Fulfills other duties as assigned by the Dean.
Research Office Management
- Supervises Program Officer and other staff assigned to the Office of Nursing Research and Scientific Inquiry.
- Oversees the development of research practices with the Grants Management Office, BJH Foundation, and other stakeholders to ensure faculty research support.
- Participates in budgeting and resource allocation and management for the Office of Research.
- Identifies sources of funding and disseminates funding announcements.
- Assists researchers with pre- and post-award activities, including grant and budget administration and high impact dissemination venues, while ensuring key processes and personnel are in place for ease of grant administration.
- Establishes policies and practices that adhere to the legal and ethical aspects of research practices, and is responsible for ensuring compliance and regulatory standard are aligned with such policies and practices.
- Participates in the implementation and ongoing development of the research mission is consistent with the College’s strategic plan.
The successful candidate for this position will have:
- Phd in research
- An earned doctorate with post-doctoral studies demonstrating a dedication to and capacity for individual and team science in healthcare.
- Administrative experience with operational knowledge of systems and processes tied to the research enterprise, such as grant/grant management, IRB, external funding attainment, the ethical conduct of research, and team supervision, in compliance with university procedures and regulatory mandates
- Demonstrated record of funded grants;
- Strategic capacity and energy to devote to developing a research portfolio for the College and our academic partner, Washington University.
- Experience in doctoral education – curriculum development and pedagogy, research supervision, dissertation advising and supervision.
- A progressive funded research portfolio that embraces innovation and mass dissemination of outcomes; a background in symptom science, cardiovascular disease, quality/safety and workforce science.
- At the rank of associate professor.
- Ability to communicate across multiple functions, mentor, develop high performance work teams.
BJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of BJC HealthCare to consider all applicants for employment with the organization on the basis of their qualifications, skills and abilities for the job, with or without reasonable accommodations, and to give all employees equal opportunity to progress within the organization without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, age, disability, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. BJC HealthCare values diversity among employees, patients, families and the communities it serves and is committed to promote the recruitment and retention of multi-cultural staff who support diversity within our organization.
Applications: The position will remain open until filled, with the review of candidates to begin immediately. The search is being conducted by Tuft & Associates. Those interested in applying should send a CV or resume and a cover letter outlining specific qualifications to: Jeanette Lancaster, PhD, RN, FAAN Tuft & Associates email@example.com 312.642.8889