Keck School of Medicine of USC seeks an educational researcher to be the Director of Educational Research in the Department of Medical Education at the assistant or associate professor level. The Director will provide research expertise through collaborative projects with a diverse client group (faculty, staff, residents and students) at KSOM. The Director will develop a strategic plan to increase scholarly activities in the area of curricular innovations. The ongoing commitments include consulting with and mentoring students, residents, and faculty in educational research and scholarship; providing educator development; procure external grants and contracts to support research activities and assisting administrators to interpret educational data in support of the above activities. Academic appointment: Assistant or Associate Professor.
Department: Keck School of Medicine, USC, Department of Medical Education
- Lead ongoing efforts in the Department of Medical Education to coordinate, prioritize, and participate in mentoring of students, residents, fellows, and faculty in educational research and scholarship, including study design; analysis of quantitative and qualitative data; and disseminating results.
- Provide guidance in research methodology and statistical analyses (quantitative, qualitative and mixed method) through collaboration on research projects and development of research grant applications in the Office of Medical Education.
- Teach research methods and educational scholarship courses in the Master of Academic Medicine program, Faculty Development Program, Residents as Teachers program and medical student curriculum.
- Establish an infrastructure that promotes educational scholarship at KSOM through involvement on the Required Scholarly Project (RSP) Steering Committee and Center for Excellence in Research.
- Advance the field of health sciences education by active engagement in communities of practice at the local, regional, and national levels.
- Conduct original research in medical education
- Disseminate research through national presentations and manuscript publications.
- Procure external grants and contracts to support educational research activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of competency-based education, learner assessment, and curriculum design.
- Leadership skills, including visioning, strategic planning, employee motivation, performance appraisal, and conflict resolution.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills (both written and spoken communication), and team-building skills.
- Ability to mentor health professions students, residents, faculty, fellows, and faculty in learner assessment, research, and educational scholarship.
- Strong skills in office productivity tools including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Strong understanding of statistical software (e.g., SAS, SPSS), relational database software (e.g., Access), and survey software (e.g., Qualtrics, Survey Monkey).
- Ability to lead proposals to support the growth of the Department of Medical Education and seek, obtain, and manage educational grants.
- PhD in health sciences education, cognitive psychology, educational psychology, educational measurement, statistics, psychology, or a related field, or equivalent in education and experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in health sciences education with direct involvement in educational research, instructional design, program evaluation, learner assessment, faculty development, and/or management of in complex data.
- At least 3 years in a leadership and/or supervisory role,
- A track record of grant funded research and publications in peer-reviewed educational journals.
To apply please visit: https://usccareers.usc.edu/job/los-angeles/assistant-professor-of-clinical-medical-education-director-of-educational-research/1209/10975241.