Instructional Designer for Distance Learning
The Instructional Designer for Distance Learning is a full-time position that works with our medical school faculty and administration to develop online medical education modules and technology-enhanced blended learning experiences. The Instructional Designer is also the operational manager for the learning management system, the natural language search program, and the lecture capture system. The Instructional Designer, a member of the Office of Medical Education, will report to the Director of Educational Program Development.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating and consulting with faculty and administration on the effective use of online resources, instructional software and systems and multimedia technologies to enhance online education, flipped classroom and blended learning experiences.
- Working with faculty on the timely development of effective instructional materials consistent with sound pedagogical principles.
- Proactively engage faculty to recommend and assist in use of Camtasia to create new learning modules.
- Evaluating the student learning and programmatic outcomes of the educational products developed.
- Collaborating with the Director of Program Evaluation Program Development to conduct faculty and staff workshops and other activities that promote teaching, learning and assessment linked to educational strategies, instructional technology and learning outcomes.
- Assisting the Instructional Designer for Active Learning with technology implementations for educational projects.
- Able to work with instructional designers on technological implementation of educational efforts within the MD program.
- Collaborating with faculty to turn their work on educational innovations and results into educational scholarship.
- Researching and evaluating emerging technologies and novel instructional approaches for possible use.
- Functioning as the operational manager for the student learning management system (currently, Canvas) and software which integrates with it such as the natural language search program (currently, iSeek) and other third-party vendor solutions that integrate with the learning management system by means of a national standard integration protocol.
- Being responsible for training faculty and staff in how to use the software and will provide second tier support for all programs at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
- Being responsible for ensuring the lecture capture system (currently, Mediasite) operates optimally.
- Managing the learning management system including oversight of entire system for the College of Medicine, ensure that the system is operating optimally, serve as liaison with Instructure, makers of Canvas, for technical support.
- Collaborating with other individuals within Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center to ensure that users (faculty, staff, students) have appropriate access to the LMS.
- Developing and providing training and training guides for staff and faculty in the use of the LMS, including course design and implementation of course elements.
- Providing level 1 and level 2 support for the MD program users of the LMS.
- Overseeing the utilization of the LMS by other divisions of Albert Einstein College of Medicine and provide level 2 support to those divisions.
- Collaborating with other individuals within Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center to ensure that programs used for medical education, are appropriately integrated with the LMS.
- Providing oversight for all issues related to the lecture capture system (currently, Mediasite), including recorder updates, server updates, server management, system utilization, file management within the server, and processes for giving individuals appropriate access to the system.
- Providing training and coordination of the audience response system (currently, Poll Everywhere).
- Other tasks as assigned.
Education, Training, and/or Related Experiences:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters or doctoral degree preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- At least 2 years of experience in multimedia technology or related field required.
- Previous experience in administering or support of web-based educational programs.
- Experience with Camtasia, Canvas, iSeek, Mediasite, one45, and Poll Everywhere preferred plus.
- Experience with medical and/or health sciences schools strongly preferred.
- Detailed knowledge and experience with educational technology systems.
- Experience with providing training.
- Customer service skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong commitment to teamwork.
- Troubleshooting/triage skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
Applications from women and underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged.
Please forward a letter of interest and CV to:
Executive Assistant to the Senior Associate Dean for Medical Education
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461