This unique position reports to the Director of the Division of Education and is responsible for the spectrum of activities of the Comprehensive and Innovative Faculty Development Program. This cutting-edge and multi-dimensional Faculty Development Program is expected to create innovative programs, products, and resources that will impact surgical education and training well into the future.
The Faculty Development program will be created under the aegis of the Division of Education and led by the Director of the Division of Education. The incumbent will work very closely with the Division Director to conduct robust gap analyses and identify specific needs that will then be addressed through the range of activities of this unique program. The Faculty Development Program and its activities will build on the previous pioneering work of the Division in this field. New standards and benchmarks in faculty development will be defined and disseminated. The needs of the surgery faculty from across the House of Surgery will thus be addressed.
This Program will impact all education and training programs of the Division of Education and help with the career advancement of the surgery faculty, both nationally and locally. This Faculty Development Program will be anchored to the 4-Level Model previously described – Master Educator, Educator, Master Teacher, and Teacher. Specific programs, products, and resources will be created for each of these Faculty Levels.
- The incumbent will provide leadership for a new and innovative Program for Mentoring, Coaching, and Advising Surgery Faculty in education that will be housed within the Division of Education and its reach will extend nationally and internationally. The incumbent will work closely with the Director of the Division of Education to design and launch this Program, and then evaluate the impact of the Program.
- The incumbent will provide oversight for the Surgeons as Educators Course, the shorter Surgical Education Principles and Practice Course, and for a spectrum of new programs, products, and resources in various formats that will address specific needs of faculty at the 4 Levels. A variety of cutting-edge educational methods and blended learning approaches will be used to achieve the best outcomes. The incumbent will work very closely with the Director of the Division of Education to create these programs, products, and resources using the latest technology. The incumbent will be responsible for launching these programs, products, and resources, and evaluating their impact.
- The incumbent will also provide oversight for the new Faculty Development Committee that will be chaired by the Director of the Division and appointed under the aegis of the Division of Education. The incumbent will assume overall responsibility for the activities of this Committee as well as other committees, task forces, and workgroups that will be appointed to design, develop, and launch various programs, products, and resources. The Assistant Director will supervise the activities of the Administrator and other staff members who will be responsible for providing administrative support for these activities.
- The incumbent will work very closely with the Director of the Division of Education to pursue scholarly work to advance the field of faculty development and evaluate the impact of various programs through well-designed research and development studies. The incumbent will pursue development and implementation of major grants to support the scholarly activities of this program.
- PhD or EdD in Education, or related field, from an accredited college or university is required.
- Must be able to establish strong working relationships with surgeons, health care professionals and internal teams to develop educational programs.
- 10+ years of experience in a similar role including substantial experience in medical or health sciences education is required.
- Experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating the impact of educational programs or faculty development courses in medicine or other health professions.
- Substantial practical experience with education program development, program management, learner assessment, and program evaluation is required.
- Experience with literature and on-line searches for scholarly articles and other resources is required.
- Current with advances in the field of medical and health sciences education.